Saturday, September 11, 2010

Batman: The Sunday Classics



I've been enjoying rereading the great 1940's Batman Sunday color newspaper strips that were reprinted in this great volume which came out in 1991. Many of the strips feature art by my favorite Golden Age artist, the great Jack Burnley. Although he drew in Bob Kane's style, you can still see his style come through. Here are a couple of examples of his fine work. This is the strip from January 16, 1944, written by Bill Finger.



This strip is from February 10, 1946, written by Al Schwartz. I really wish there were more adventure strips in newspapers these days.



It's been a lot of fun reading these great strips again. I'll have to dig out my Superman Sunday collection next weekend.

Related Posts by Categories



No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews