Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Planet Comicon 2007

This past weekend my buddies and I went to Kansas City's biggest comic convention, Planet Comicon. We were fortunate enough to meet Marvel Comics legend Herb Trimpe, whose art graced many an Incredible Hulk tale from the mid 60's on, including this beauty from January, 1969. Herb was incredibly nice and generous. He did sketches for all of us and talked about his career and all the people he worked with at Marvel. I was very happy and a little amazed to see the long lines waiting to meet him. I didn't think he'd get that kind of response. He was signing books and doing sketches all weekend long. One of the highlights was the panel he did with fellow Bronze Age great Rich Buckler. It was very informal and entertaining. It felt like they were just talking to me and my friends one on one. It's a weird feeling to meet the people whose stuff you read growing up and having normal conversations with them. It was a lot of fun. In addition to Herb and Rich, we also got to meet David Prowse, who played Darth Vader in Star Wars. Considering Star Wars and comics were my childhood and Vader was my favorite character, I was pretty blown away to say the least. He was very friendly and talked to us for quite a while. Overall, it was a very fun convention. They put it on every year around this time and it's definitely worth going to if you live in or around the Kansas City area.

Related Posts by Categories



No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews