Monday, November 6, 2006

Harlem Globetrotters #3

Here's a book featuring one of my favorite childhood obsessions. For a period of about five years or so in the mid 1970's, I was totally into The Harlem Globetrotters. My five year old mind couldn't get enough of Meadowlark Lemon, Curly Neal, and the boys. I'd wait with breathless anticipation for their every appearance on ABC's Wide World Of Sports. They were absolutely hysterical every time they were on. I was lucky enough to see them on a couple of occasions when they would come through Kansas City. Anyway, to coincide with the early '70's Hanna-Barbera cartoon, Gold Key produced a 12 issue run of Globetrotter comics based on the show. It was pretty standard kiddie fare for the time but it had the Globetrotters in it so that made it better in my eyes. Issue #3, from 1972, features a cover by Tony Tallerico and appearances inside from such Trotter stalwarts as Meadowlark Lemon, Curly Neal, and characters from the show Geese, Pab, PJ, Granny, and Dribble the dog.

Related Posts by Categories



No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews