Friday, August 29, 2008

Hostess Ads

One of the coolest things about the comics of the 1970's and '80's were the ads scattered throughout the book. My favorite of these were the myriad ads featuring our favorite heroes from the Marvel and DC universes hawking the yummy treats Hostess had available then. I was quite the consumer of Twinkees, Cup Cakes, Ding Dongs, and Ho Ho's so these ads were great. It didn't hurt that one of my favorite artists, Curt Swan, drew most of the DC ads. Here are a few I've scanned recently.

In this one Batgirl uses the lure of those great Fruit Pies to defeat the villainous Magpies drawn beautifully by Mr. Swan.



In this one Batman and Robin use my favorite Hostess treat, the fantastic Cup Cakes, in their fight on crime.



Now we'll switch over to the Marvel Universe where Spidey also uses the Hostess Fruit Pie as an effective crime fighting tool. I believe Ross Andru drew this with an assist from John Romita but I'm not positive.



And finally we have our jolly green giant The Incredible Hulk using the Fruit Pie magic. I believe this is all Romita art.



These are just a few of the great Hostess ads of the past. This site is a very funny but sometimes crude look at all the ads. It's very entertaining reading.

Related Posts by Categories



No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews