Thursday, May 28, 2009

Secret Origins Of The Super DC Heroes



When I was a kid, my mom worked for the local public library and I spent a lot of time in the 741.5973 Dewey Decimal section. For those of you not familiar with the Dewey Decimal system, that's the comic book section. They had several great comic collections that I checked out over and over again. The one book I checked out the most was the Secret Origins Of The Super DC Heroes paperback put out by Warner Books in 1976.



Like the back cover said, this great book featured eighteen action packed, hair-raising adventure stories featuring the top ten comics crusaders against crime. For some of these characters, it was my first exposure to them. I hadn't read any Plastic Man or Captain Marvel stories before this, for example. I remember vividly going over the very cool table of contents where instead of listing the heroes by name, they have images of them drawn by the signature artists.





After the library got rid of the book a few years later, I hadn't seen this great book at any stores or conventions. It was one of my holy grails of comic collecting. After almost 20 years, I finally found it at my local comic store. Needless to say, I forked over the money as soon as I saw it. It remains one of the four or five favorite books in my collection.

Related Posts by Categories



No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews