Friday, February 13, 2009

The Genius Of George Perez

One of the first artists I ever got into when I started collecting comics in the late 70's was George Perez. I really liked his early work on Fantastic Four and when he went to DC and starting doing some Justice League issues after Dick Dillin died, my admiration for his work was cemented. When I entered my teenage years, his and Marv Wolfman's New Teen Titans was probably my favorite book. I was thrilled to finally meet him at a show in Kansas City in the early 90's but, being in college, I didn't have any money for a sketch. That changed in 2002 when my buddies and I went to New York for a show. He was incredibly nice and did a fantastic sketch of Sgt. Rock for me.



Needless to say, I was thrilled with the sketch and my experience with George, as this picture suggests.



I've met George a couple of more times since then. He did a fantastic Starfire sketch in my sketchbook which thrilled me since she was probably my favorite character in the Titans when I started to read the book.



Hopefully George will come back to KC soon so I can get another sketch for the book. I'm thrilled that he's still going strong in the business. Current comics need more guys like George Perez.

Related Posts by Categories



No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews