Monday, January 1, 2007

Batman #324

From right in the middle of my first phase of comic collecting comes this beauty from June, 1980. This issue had everything I loved as a ten year old DC lover. It had a stunning Jim Aparo cover (I've never seen an Aparo cover that wasn't stunning), a great feature length Batman story by Len Wein and Irv Novick, a Hostess Twinkle ad by Curt Swan, and a Fred Hembeck cartoon to top it all off. I always loved the Hembeck cartoons that appeared in the Daily Planet sections of DC books of the late 70's and the Marvel Age book of the 80's. His humor always cracked me up as a kid and adult. It was a huge part of why I liked those comics so much. He has a great website www.hembeck.com that showcases his fine work. This particular Batman tale was the second part of a Batman, Catman, and Catwoman tale that I was anxiously awaiting the conclusion of. I always thought Irv Novick was an underrated Batman artist. His work on Batman and The Flash during this time was some of my first introductions to those characters. A lot of people aren't crazy about late 70's DC, preferring the earlier part of the decade, but I'll always have a special place in my heart for this era. It was a huge part of my childhood.

Related Posts by Categories



No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews